In response to the growing popularity of remote working and the rise of digital nomads, Peru has announced the creation of a dedicated visa. Thanks to this initiative, professionals from all over the world will be able to enjoy this South American paradise while working.
Details of the visa program for Peruvian digital nomads
Having seen the success of other countries that have already introduced similar visas, the Peruvian government is preparing to launch its own visa dedicated to digital nomads. This visa will enable foreign workers to work remotely in the country without having to be salaried by a local company.
🇵🇪 Peru alert: The government of Peru has published a Legislative Decree that, once it is effective, will introduce the following key changes, among others:
- A new Digital Nomad Visa;
- A shorter validity of Local Identification Cards for foreign residents; and
- Direct U.S. Immigration (@D_USImmigration) November 20, 2023
This specific visa will be valid for one year, renewable thereafter. To be eligible, several conditions must be met:
- Valid passport
- Working remotely for a company based outside Peru or as a freelancer with foreign clients
- Meet a minimum income requirement (amount not yet announced)
- International health insurance for the duration of your stay
It is important to note that holders of this visa will be prohibited from receiving a salary for services performed in Peru, or from working for a company based in the country.
Why is Peru a popular destination for digital nomads?
Peru has many attractions that make it a destination of choice for professional nomads. Advantages include
- Affordable cost of living
- Local infrastructure for mobile workers
- A rich cultural and tourist offering, including the famous Machu Picchu UNESCO World Heritage Site
- An ideal location for exploring other South American countries
Potential for the Peruvian economy
The introduction of this visa should bring a new boost to the Peruvian economy. By attracting qualified and experienced foreign workers, this measure could help diversify the national economy.The event will also help to forge international business links and increase the number of local investors.
Peru joins other South American countries
By offering this specific visa, Peru is following in the footsteps of several other South American countries, including Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina and Uruguay. The latter have already set up similar programs to attract digital nomads, seeing in them an opportunity to revitalize their economies and enrich the country's professional diversity.
How do I obtain a visa?
Visa application process not yet announced. However, we can expect it to be similar to that of other countries that have introduced visas dedicated to digital nomads :
- Provide a complete file with all required documents (including passport, proof of income, health insurance certificate).
- Pay visa application fees
- Regularly consult the official website of the Peruvian embassy in your country of origin to keep abreast of developments and procedures for obtaining the digital nomad visa.
Peru has clearly demonstrated its willingness to welcome digital nomads and offer them an environment suited to their nomadic professional lifestyle. This new visa could enable the country to strengthen its economy and attract more foreign investors.. Nomadic workers, meanwhile, will benefit from a warm and accessible destination, enabling them to combine adventure, cultural discovery and professional opportunities.